Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Leaving everything I know

I quit my job, I sold my car and I sold all of my furniture. It is very liberating to be rid of the most basic materialistic necessities.

I worked for American Honda Finance. I held many positions with Honda and I am happy to say that I am no longer an employee there.  Although, you couldn't technically call me an "employee" because I was actually a temporary associate and I have worked there for four consecutive years. That job was never what I wanted to do, I don't believe it is what anyone really wants to do, but I wasn't going to settle. I am not that type of person.

While working for American Honda Finance a lot has happened. I learned a lot while and I can honestly say that I have grown as a person.   I didn't grow because Honda had given me the ability or the tools to grow as an employee, I grew because I now know what I want and I know what I don't want and I'm not afraid to go after my dreams.

My story starts here.

My boyfriend Gary and I had made the decision to leave everything we know to teach English in Barcelona, Spain. We arrive in Spain on July 30th, but before we start the teaching program on August 1st, we are going to be traveling.  A week in New England, a week in Ireland and a week in Italy and then off to Barcelona where we will be living until, whenever. 

We left California yesterday with a packed U-Haul and a car with no air conditioning. I drove the car in 111 degree weather, through the hot Arizona desert...if you have ever drove a car with no air conditioning through the hot desert, I commend you on your survival. I thought I was going to have a heat stroke or die of heat exhaustion.  Granted, the windows were down in the car but the air was so hot it was stinging my sweat stricken body. Four hours and 6 bottles of water later we arrived in Goodyear, Arizona where Gary's parents live and we started to unpack the U-Haul. Just as we finished unpacking, a dust storm started to roll in and the monsoon came.  I have never been in a dust storm or seen a monsoon, so this was amazing to see.

We will be in Arizona until tomorrow night and then we take a red-eye out of Phoenix to Boston.

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment